[extropy-chat] Wikipedia page and cryonics

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Apr 11 19:06:27 UTC 2007

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 01:53:06PM -0400, pjmanney wrote:

> While I understand your historical argument, transhumanism isn't just about cryonics.

Cryonics is a nice way of putting your money where your mouth is. Also, because
it doesn't look as if life extension will achieve escape velocity in our biological
life time, cryonics is the only option if you want to sample the transhuman
future in person. The only option. There is no other, currently.

> I agree with both Justice DeThezier's argument on WTA-talk (since I also said 'no')

No one is compelled to do it (since I don't live in the area with any coverage
I'm not signed up myself).

> and Loremaster's rationale for discretion.  Cryonics status -- or any other personal

Loremaster's comment sounded remarkably uninformed, and inflammatory.

> status -- should not be a matter of public record, unless the individual requests it.
>
> Otherwise, it smacks of marketing or other hidden agendas.

To me, it sounds like the person is sufficiently comitted (or reasonably well-off),
and/or willing to support the current institutions, considering them reformable.