[extropy-chat] Hydrogen a "bad Idea"

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 09:07:50 UTC 2007

On 4/12/07, Thomas wrote:
<snip>
> There are no easy answers to the worlds energy crisis.  We'll never have
> the magic power to crack enough water into hydrogen with solar energy
> to produce 138 billion GGEs a year.  DOE is investing billions in the future,
> but the ideas below don't merit the energy spent to send the message.
>
> Who can provide a solution with verifiable facts and figures, that supplies
> 138 billion GGEs a year for 330 million US vehicles, using solar, bio-fuels or
> plants on their roofs?  Then try fueling 700 million vehicles worldwide, Then
> work on heating the couple of billion homes.  Once you solve these issues,
> work on energy to drive the world's industries which increases at about 5%
> a year.
>
> And once you solve the US energy needs try taking on China where we expect
> the majority of the world's oil production this century to be consumed.
> Small scale ideas look foolish when we confront the big picture and become
> better informed people.

Yes, but.....

The world is still very early in the transition phase.
We still have plenty of cheapish (getting more expensive) oil, and the
whole old infrastructure to rebuild. So naturally we are reluctant to
leave our comfort zone and start the hard work bit.

Of course it is a big job. But you have to start somewhere.

When people find that the cost of filling their tank with gas makes
them wonder where they are going to get enough money from, then big
changes will be set in motion. (The recent small increases in gas
prices are nowhere near big enough - yet....).

When increasing home power bills also start to hit hard, another big
rethink will begin.

People won't show much interest in change without an incentive.
Why buy a fuel cell car that costs much more than a gas-guzzler?
Why insulate your home when electricity is so cheap?

The problem is deciding when to start making the change. Starting
gradually, like now, is probably correct. Leaving everything to the
last minute will probably be a big mistake.

All the government money that is being thrown at fuel cell technology
and other alternative power systems will have spinoff benefits as
well, in fields like nanotech.

Fuel cells will improve, hydrogen generation and storage will improve,
solar panels will get better, devices will become more economical. We
are just at the beginning.

BillK