[extropy-chat] Wikipedia page and cryonics

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Apr 13 14:37:21 UTC 2007

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 10:22:10AM -0400, Keith Henson wrote:

> The very least you should do is get enough US based life insurance to cover

I'm part of a local effort to bootstrap a service provider, but
had to drop out for a while, because of baby-related and other
workload issues.

I'm not sure I would want to rely on U.S. alone. Establishing
some geographic diversity looks worthwhile.

> being suspended and let friends and family know what it is for and make
> plans to move near your provider if you become terminal.

The probability of me dying within the next decade or two is
rather low. Otoh, at 40 the life insurance is not so cheap anymore.
Right now I can't spare the cash, since working on own company
bootstrap. Things should become much better in a couple years.

> Incidentally, where do you live?  I can't think of any part of the English
> speaking world that doesn't have coverage of a sort even if it is a local
> medical team being talked through doing a washout.

I'm not very impressed with people in U.K. (I'm currently based in Southern Germany).
To be frank, I'm not impressed with the current quality consistency anywhere.
(No, I don't have too high standards, I've just seen enough of how things should
be done properly). I *do* hope that situation will improve in 40-50 years, when
I'll need it.