[extropy-chat] Wikipedia page and cryonics

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Fri Apr 13 23:26:41 UTC 2007

On 4/12/07, Keith Henson <hkhenson at rogers.com> wrote:

> I agree that there are people who call themselves
> "transhumanists" who will not sign up for cryonics for one reason or
> another.  I don't take them very seriously ...

Hey, I resemble that remark!

I see nothing technically invalid about cryonics, but I have two
fundamental problems with investing a significant amount of my net
worth in it at this time.

(1) The infrastructure is woefully insufficient to provide confidence
that my investment would be well protected (and I've met people from
Alcor personally.)

(2) I see nearly zero probability that Jef would be relevant if
revived at any significantly future time.

Please don't respond with a knee jerk Pascal's Wager argument, since
my money provides a real return relative to my values in this life,
and I don't harbor the common illusion that my personal survival is
infinitely valuable.  If I were fairly wealthy, then I could be easily
tempted, but the same logic would likely prevail.

- Jef