[extropy-chat] Meta re recurring threads was Personal Identity Bis

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 04:51:15 UTC 2007

On 4/16/07, Keith Henson <hkhenson at rogers.com> wrote:

>>Materialists, i.e., engineering types, for the most part agree with you
> >>that an identical copy of a person (or a computer) is equivalent and for
> >>the most part can't imagine why anyone would have a different opinion.
> >
> >You probably feel that way after these many long discussions.
>
> It didn't take these long discussions.  I have no memory of any time in
> the
> past I had a different opinion, and my writings for the last two decades
> are consistent with that view...

I didn't mean you were convinced about personal identity after these
discussions, but convinced that "engineering types" will have the same view
as you do. I know lots of scientifically literate people who are perfectly
sensible materialists, with no belief in gods, spirits ar any other
nonsense, who nevertheless think that undergoing destructive copying would
be suicide.

Stathis Papaioannou