[extropy-chat] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 43, Issue 24

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Wed Apr 18 22:36:05 UTC 2007

Max wrote:

>>PS. I respect that in the past you have not taken positions in
>> favour of democracy. I hope you would not take a position in
>> favour of fascism and promise breaking.
>
> I can barely believe that you asked me that
> question. However, my eyes insist that these
> incoming photons accurately represent the words
> you wrote, so I suppose I must. I'm not deeply
> enthusiastic about democracy because I see it as
> restricting the liberty (and responsibility) of
> the individual. That's as far as I will go in
> dignifying an answer to this particular question.

They aren't questions Max they are statements. I do respect
that in the past you have had the courage and integrity to be
open about your reservations about democracy. I too have
reservations about democracy. If no one did then nothing
better could arise.

I am a libertarian. Being a libertarian in my book carries
duties to defend freedom when freedom is threatened.

George W Bush's "war on terror" is the stupidist most
absurb proposition turned into policy that a country full
of appeasers has sat and nodded at since Caligula married
his horse.

When the nazis came to power in Germany they were able
to do so because men and women that could have together
done something about it did not act early enough.

I have issues with American libertarians because they are
not, in sufficient numbers or more importantly in significant
effective efforts, defending the most fundamental freedoms
of all.

Your extropian principles were an excellent effort by the
younger man that was yourself to articulate a vision for a
way forward. But fine words uttered in ones youth are not
enough.

If one will not stand up and fight for a principle and struggle and
even die for a principle, ones most cherished principle, then one
is not really alive.

Why haven't I see you lobbying or writing for the impeachment
of President Bush Max? There are people in your country that
are - the case for it, the need for it could hardly be clearer. Why
aren't you defending the constitution that is the bedrock of your
real freedom?

Your extropian principles, as has been discussed before, by folk
like Hal come into tension with each other.

We all have to make our living in this less than ideal world. But
if we don't take a stand on anything because the highest goal
we have is always to keep ourselves alive then we never really
live.

Bush has attacked science and reason and technology and
people. He has said you are with us (meaning him) or against
us.  When Presidents or Feuhrers say those things and act
above the law we cannot not take them seriously.

The rule of law could use your support at this point in history
Max.  Humanity could.  I could.

Regards,
Brett