[extropy-chat] Anarchy!

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 16:03:33 UTC 2007

On 4/21/07, Technotranscendence <neptune at superlink.net> wrote:

>  Libertarians, in the sense of people who embrace the noninitiation of
> force principle, come in two flavors: anarchist and minarchist.  Your
> position is simply the libertarian minarchist one.

Yep.

Not to start up a long debate on the issue, but my view is that minarchism
> -- a government limited to protecting individual negative rights, which is
> what I think you have in mind -- is not possible.

Maybe. These days I've adopted the philosophy in a number of areas,
political philosophy included, that I don't know whether the ultimate ideal
can be fully realized, nor do I really need to know. What I focus instead on
is movement - what can we do to move towards the ideal? So in the political
arena, anything we can do to move towards greater freedom - or to retard
movement in the direction of lesser freedom - is good. And these things are
possible.