[extropy-chat] How to be copied into the future?.

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Fri Apr 27 21:24:29 UTC 2007

John Clark denounces the doctrines of the so-called High Priest of the
Unique Atom and Sacred Original Cult:

> If so then the last thing I'd want to do is change my conditioning because
> the sort of conditioning you are you talking about is a belief in the
> scientific method. Science can detect no difference between one hydrogen
> atom and another, absolutely none, but nevertheless you think atoms can
> magically confer individuality to us even though they have none themselves.

Excuse me, but I recall that Heartland *specifically* said that it's not
the atoms that are the problem; keep the same atoms or not, it does
not matter to him.  What DOES matter is whether a process is
suspended or not.  To Slawomir, any time you halt a process---either
by freezing a human or by temporarily halting the execution of a
computer program or by allowing a human EEG to flatline---you
have allowed an instance to perish.  And according to him, that's
the whole ball game.

Slawomir, please comment on the degree to which I have captured
your views;  I do not want to falsely misrepresent John Clark. (If I
am going to misrepresent him, I wish to do so truely, not falsely.)

Meanwhile, I am appalled at the way that you and Stathis keep trying
to take down a straw man. There is plenty to attack in his properly
stated beliefs :-)

Again, apologies if you and Stathis have not misunderstood Heartland's
views.

Lee