[extropy-chat] a request for cyber-guidance

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Apr 28 01:53:55 UTC 2007

At 07:43 PM 4/27/2007 -0400, Keith wrote:

> >Barbara and I had our farmhouse burned to the ground a few months ago
> >in an electricity company accident.
>
>snip
>
>There must be a story behind this.  One of the more interesting articles
>Jerry Pournelle wrote for Byte was when a car hitting a power pole dropped
>4160 volt lines onto his house power.  Every light in the house went off
>like a flash bulb and he had some interesting tales to tell about surge
>protectors.

Surge protectors, ha.

A guy wire failed on a post holding up a transformer somewhere off
our land. The thing fell over into dry grass, spilling oil (?) and
spitting sparks (presumably) and the fire raged unobserved until it
reached the property and the 100 year old trees surrounding it,
burning the whole thing to the ground including workshop full of
tools, various vehicles (couple of classic Kombi vans, etc),
greenhouse, storage sheds full of furniture waiting to be moved to
another house in a week or two, antiques, the dwelling itself, etc.
Nobody was there, no animals locked in. A neighbor alerted us (we're
an hour away to the south). Total devastation.

I don't think they have surge protectors for that.

The Bluebonnet electric company admits total responsibility; their
insurers have not denied it. An assessor wandered by, took a few
desultory photos and notes, rushed on the next job.

Now the sons of bitches are offering a pittance.

Luckily (in so far as one can invoke "luck" in any of this
unpleasantness) Barbara is a lawyer sharing office space with other
expert lawyers, if it comes to that.

Damien Broderick