[ExI] you cn't always get what you wnt

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Aug 12 20:02:47 UTC 2007

The odd thing is that this idea (sans the wnt element) has been a
commonplace of sf for at least half a century, and very probably much
longer. It's the basis of James Gunn's THE IMMORTALS [1958] (I think
his mutant on the run has a hematopoietic SNP), and of Norman
Spinrad's once notorious BUG JACK BARRON, also infamous for its many
scenes of fellatio (a sort of vitalistic vampiric subtext, doncha
know). And I seem to recall that the non-Howard family humans in
Heinlein's Future History eventually gain equal longevity by sprucing
up their blood.

Damien Broderick