[ExI] free-will, determinism, crime and punishment

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Mon Aug 20 19:02:03 UTC 2007

"gts" <gts_2000 at yahoo.com>

> Someday you may find yourself in court
> accused of serious moral turpitude.

As that bowl of petunias said on it's way to certain death in the Hitchhiker
books,

 "Oh no, not again."

> If you say to the judge in your defense,
> "Your honor, moral turpitude can  exist
> only if free-will is true, but  free-will is
> an idea so bad it's not  even wrong", then
> he will most  likely look at you with glazed
> eyes, slam  his gavel, and sentence you to
> do time in prison. He might also order a
>  psychiatric evaluation.

I think what you say is true, a judge would most likely do exactly that, and
that is why the "idea" of free will has not only totally screwed up
philosophy it has also turned our legal system into a joke.

 John K Clark