[ExI] free-will, determinism, crime and punishment

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 15:31:42 UTC 2007

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 10:56:34 -0400, John K Clark <jonkc at att.net> wrote:

> So I have free will if I can will things freely.I said it before I'll
> say it again, an idea so bad it's not even wrong.

I kinda' agree with you, John, but here's the rub:

Someday you may find yourself in court accused of serious moral turpitude.
If you say to the judge in your defense, "Your honor, moral turpitude can
exist only if free-will is true, but free-will is an idea so bad it's not
even wrong", then he will most likely look at you with glazed eyes, slam
his gavel, and sentence you to do time in prison. He might also order a
psychiatric evaluation. :)

-gts