[ExI] LA Times: A donor egg gives life -- and a death sentence

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Mon Dec 10 15:53:43 UTC 2007

PJ:
>genetic testing, the shoddy testing in the egg/sperm
>donation world revealed in this story really surprised me.

Dear PJ, In the one country I know (Estonia), genetic testing is
not part of the tests that anonymous donors undergo. After they
are screened for HIV, the clinics give the following information
for their anonymous donors:

information on anonymous sperm donors:
Age
Height
Weight
Hair
Eyes
Glasses
Education
Nationality
Married
Children
Bloodgroup
Rh factor

the same as above for anonymous oocyte donors plus:

cytomegalovirus (CMV) immunoglobulin G (IgG) and IgM
herpessimplexvirus (HSV) I, II immunoglobulin G (IgG) and IgM

I don't know how expensive are the genetic tests, and how much
they would increase the costs in fertility clinics. Anyone have
an idea?

Amara

--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
Research Scientist, Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), Boulder, Colorado