[ExI] A Well-balanced individual

Kevin H kevin.l.holmes at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 22:40:29 UTC 2007

I'm seeing a lot of talk of rationality and morality on these boards, but am
I the only one here seeing an unaddressed normative framework involved
here?  For instance, aside from the apparent assumption that rationality and
emotionalism are separate things, given the apparent claim that a
well-balanced individual is the proper balance between these two allegedly
separate things, who says what the balance is or even if there *is* a proper
balance?  At least, nature doesn't.  I think when we make such claims we
ought to make our normative framework, and our values, evident and not
pretend they come from anywhere else other than our own judgments and
evaluations.  Perfection, too, isn't a property in nature but a human
judgment.

Okay, I just wanted to clear the air a little :)

Kevin