[ExI] Why is xmas 'the holiday season' in America??

Kevin Freels kevin at kevinfreels.com
Sun Dec 16 17:29:14 UTC 2007

It's simply a large grouping of multiple holidays in a fairly short
period of time. You have the winter solstice holidays such as christmas,
hanukkah, (partial list
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_winter_festivals#Muslim )and then
the various pre-christian traditions that were christianized such as
yule. Then you add the new years holiday following only a week behind
and you have a perfect recipe for using the word "Holiday" in its plural
form. In the US, the other major holidays all fall within their own month.