[ExI] simulation linear vs cube

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Dec 17 15:03:19 UTC 2007

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 05:51:15AM -0700, hkhenson wrote:

> Without some trick to get round the speed of light, the time required
> to synch processes goes up by the linear dimensions of network of
> processing units.  The number of them inside the dimensions goes up
> by the cube of the linear dimension.  The problem is we don't have

This is why (the CPU left unchanged) it is possible to use neural
emulation over WAN, even 50 ms, 50 kByte/s WAN. Just make the
damn array large enough that processing it takes forever, so
that exchanging the interfaces won't be the bottleneck.

(Of course for practical reasons we wouldn't want to swap
the array to rotating bits, since that incurs a six orders
of magntide random access penalty, at which point we could
as well become lumberjacks, or shepherds, so it would
take lots of crunch on each element of that array before
you can do that).