[ExI] Quantum Entanglement (was: simulation)

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Mon Dec 17 22:51:08 UTC 2007

"Gary Miller" <aiguy at comcast.net> Wrote:

> quantum entanglement could allow information to
> pass instantaneously without regard to light speed

Unfortunately that is incorrect. It is true that you can change something on
the other side of the universe instantly, but you need more than that to
send information, you also need a standard to measure that change
against; otherwise you're just changing one random sequence to a
different random sequence.

Think of quantum entanglement as 2 coins, I have one and you have
the other, no matter how far apart we are if I flip my coin and it comes
up heads then when you flip your coin it will always come up heads,
if my coin is tails then so will your coin when you flip it. As marvelous
as this fact is there is no way I can use the coins to send you a message
because I have no control over my coin, it could come out heads or tails,
so you see just randomness in the coin toss just like I do. It is only
when we communicate through conventional means do we realize
than my apparently random sequence of coin tosses and your
apparently random sequence of coin tosses are identical.

So you can't use quantum entanglement to send messages faster than light,
but you can use it to encrypt messages in a code as secure as the laws of
physics. Or you could say that you can send information faster than light
but the message is encoded and the key to decode it can only be sent
slower than light.

  John K Clark