[ExI] Where is Consciousness located?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at comcast.net
Fri Dec 21 23:44:57 UTC 2007

Though I think the way most people, including Searle, use the idea of
the Chinese room is mistaken, there is an important idea there having to
do with the hard problem of consciousness.

This has to do with Chalmer's "principle of organizational invariance"
which states that phenomenal properties can "arize" from any equivalent
functional organization.  Sure, in actuality, things like a set of water
pipes and valves, and / or a "Chineese room" could not actually result
in any kind of intelligent behavior, but theoretically, all mathematical
calculations required could be reproduced and simulated by all such
systems if the speed of such operations were simply increased a near
infinite amount.  This position is argued in this position statement here:

http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/23/8

Chalmers, I, and many others agree that there is a "hard problem" but I
disagree with him that phenomenal properties could "arise" from any
equivalent functional organization, of which a "Chinese Room" is, though
absurd and racist, one example.

I also very much disagree with the idea that consciousness is only a
process or only behavior, or not located anywhere.  And this is all
described in the "Nature has Phenomenal Properties" camp statement:

http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/23/2

Brent Allsop