[ExI] Where is Consciousness located?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at comcast.net
Sun Dec 23 00:24:21 UTC 2007

John,

Yes, I know you think this way, we've had this conversation many times
over the years, and I've attempted to show how these statements you make
over and over again about what we believe to be mistaken, so evidently
repeating them yet again will not be worth much since it didn't help the
last time, and you don't seem to be listening.  Non the less, now,
except for the part about evolution, there are concise statements as to
why your statements are mistaken contained in the camp statements here:

http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/23/2

And there are also some other pretty good thinkers in our camp,
concisely agreeing with us that you are mistaken.

As far as the evolution part goes, you've also made this mistaken
argument before also.  Do you keep archives?  Check arorund Nov 2005,
for one example of a bunch of us having this same conversation.  Myself,
and I believe others like Damien Broderick, explained why you are
wrong.  But of course, telling people to dig such information out of
conversation logs isn't of much use right?  And obviously people don't
just remember such, not to mention all the new people having to suffer
through all this yet again.

So instead of repeatedly mistakenly using evolution in this way to argue
your belief in such conversations after we have refuted them, perhaps if
you really still think it is not mistaken, you could canonize this
argument?  Then I can canonize our response as to why it is mistaken,
explain, in a little more rigorous way, that if an environment has
natural phenomenal properties, they could be used to more effeciently
represent information, especially of the motivational type, than simple
abstracted behavioral representations.  All of this clearely
demonstrating how evolution could evolve to utilize such, due to their
benefit and efficiently for increasing intelligence, if they existed,
yet we, with our still, but not for much longer, only causal observation
abilities, are completely objectively blind to them,  i.e. they are
still ineffable.

Brent Allsop