[ExI] Fwd: elections again; was [Time Magazine: Person of the Year: Putin(!),my vote instead: Anna Politkovskaja]

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Fri Dec 28 22:46:57 UTC 2007

On Dec 28, 2007, at 2:27 PM, daniel radetsky wrote:
> If you do believe it is inferior, how do answer the theoretical
> claims of the proponents of range voting ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Range_voting#Properties)
> ?

I was not trying to imply that Range voting is inferior, only that it
is not "ideal" in the sense that it will always reflect the
preferences of the voter pool under all conditions.  Range voting is
relatively resistant to manipulation and gaming, but not immune to it.

I agree that voting systems, both implementation and theory, can be
improved and should be.  I'm less optimistic that any such system will
reliably produce sane results.

J. Andrew Rogers