[ExI] Fwd: elections again; was [Time Magazine: Person of the Year: Putin(!),my vote instead: Anna Politkovskaja]

daniel radetsky dradetsky.lp at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 06:42:40 UTC 2007

On Dec 28, 2007 2:46 PM, J. Andrew Rogers <andrew at ceruleansystems.com>
wrote:

> I was not trying to imply that Range voting is inferior, only that it
> is not "ideal" in the sense that it will always reflect the
> preferences of the voter pool under all conditions.

Okay, but that's a ridiculous standard. Here's a better one: a voting system
is "ideal" if there are no circumstances under which it does not reflect the
preferences of the voter pool, but another system does, and "optimal" if
reflects the preferences of the voter pool with higher probability than any
other system. Do you believe that it is not ideal or optimal in the above
sense? I ask because range voting advocates believe that there is compelling
experimental evidence that range voting is optimal, and in fact very nearly
ideal.