[ExI] Asteroid on track for possible (probability of 1:25) Marshit

Harvey Newstrom mail at harveynewstrom.com
Mon Dec 31 02:46:55 UTC 2007

On Sunday 30 December 2007 20:28, Kevin H wrote:
> Not to interrupt your discussion, but it seems to me that detection is
> probably of much greater importance than deflection at this stage of the
> game, given that our ability to deflect an asteroid, comet, or other NEO is
> directly proportional to the amount of advanced warning we have that a
> strike is imminent or probable.

I think you are absolutely right.  In my field(s) of work, threats are
countered with "controls".  There are three types of controls:  preventive
controls, detective controls, and mitigative controls.  All three are
important and are used against any threat.  First you have to detect it.
Second you have to prevent it.  And third, you have to response if the
prevention doesn't work.  All three are considered necessary to have a
complete response to a threat.

--
Harvey Newstrom <www.harveynewstrom.com>
CISSP CISA CISM CIFI GSEC IAM ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP