[extropy-chat] Elvis Sightings

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Mon Feb 5 16:47:55 UTC 2007

"Damien Broderick" <thespike at satx.rr.com>

> It would only be odd if Nature and Science did not have a policy in
> place of refusing to consider papers on this topic, since the topic
> is agreed to be MEGA-BULLSHIT. There must be a way for controversial
> claims to break through such an impasse

If it really is MEGA-BULLSHIT as I am certain it is then you are right,
there is no way the cold fusion faithful can break through the impasse and
get published in a journal (or just a website) that was not downright
comical. If in the extraordinarily unlikely event there really is something
to it and all the editors at Nature and Science have had the intelligence of
The Three Stooges for the last 17 years then the way around the impasse is
called "Physical Review Letters" or dozens of other perfectly respectable
journals that would make every physicist in the world sit up and take
notice. I repeat what I said before because I think it is very important, a
simple very well publicized experiment that was true but imposable to be
confirmed for 17 years would be UNPRECEDENTED in science.
But in all fairness I should add that they are not as bad as the ESP people,
their experiments haven't been confirmed in about 150 years.

Ben Goertzel <ben at goertzel.org> Wrote:

> Nature and Science refuse to  publish CF-related papers, for stupid
> reasons as Beaudette discusses...

Well I agree with you on one thing, somebody is stupid, either all the
editors at Nature and Science for the last 17 years have been stupid or this
Beaudette person is. My God people don't you even have a rudimentary
bullshit detector? Fantastic claims, cries of persecution, irreproducible
results, this just reeks of junk science!

  John K Clark