[extropy-chat] Gaming: ? re 2010 - 2030 "GameChangers"

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Feb 7 08:20:48 UTC 2007

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 09:21:05PM -0600, kevinfreels.com wrote:

> Any development that can fool the body into "feeling" motion.

That one is going to be difficult. Electrostimulation of the
vestibular, possibly, but that require precise electrode placement.

> Replacing the worn out old TV screen with goggles or a helmet that allows
> full 360 movement on a rounded screen.

It's remarkable that there are now MEMS accelerometers about anywhere,
and geomagnetics sensors, and even bloody photo camers which segment
out faces in realtime, but no single HMD worth spit. There are no fully
immersive lightweight HMDs for optical reasons, but I guess a triple-screen
worth of 30" in front of you could be reasonably useful.

> Adding smell to the entire package.

Not that I'm anosmic, but fail to see the utility. Bandwidth's way too
low.