[extropy-chat] Energy & Global Warming [was: Partisans and EP]

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Mon Feb 12 13:16:24 UTC 2007

At 09:14 PM 2/11/2007 -0800, spike wrote:

snip

>  Sloshy targets
>are fine, I agree, but in Pu solution makes the ions too rarified to get
>very many captures in our lifetimes.  Solutions are another three orders of
>magnitude more rarified than a liquid metal, if my vague recollections of
>typical solubility of heavy metal salts are any better than my physics
>memory.

Uranyl Nitrate, Solubility: ~66g/100 g water

"Uranyl nitrate was used to fuel Aqueous Homogeneous Reactors in the 1950s.
However it proved too corrosive in this application, and the experiments
were abandoned."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranyl_nitrate

Also see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqueous_Homogeneous_Reactor