[extropy-chat] Energy & Global Warming [was: Partisans and EP]

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Feb 13 10:06:05 UTC 2007

On Feb 12, 2007, at 1:54 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 02:33:14AM -0500, Jordan Hazen wrote:
>
>> This allows for on-stream reprocessing as well, and be fueled by
>> uranium, thorium, or other actinides, including transuranic wastes
>> from other reactor types.
>
> There's a nice blog plugging molten-salt thorium as an alternative
> to conventional enrichened-uranium reactor: http://
> thoriumenergy.blogspot.com/
>
> However, the amount of R&D required to develop this into
> a commercial reactor is better spent on regenerative energy sources.

What sort of regenerative energy do you have in mind that is of
sufficient density?  IIRC we have enough thorium available to run
earth's current energy needs for around 10,000 years.   That would
seem to justify putting a few our egg[head]s in this basket.

Am I missing something?  Knowing you I would be very surprised if I
wasn't.  I look forward to reading what it is.

- samantha