[extropy-chat] Re-save the world

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 11:11:03 UTC 2007

On 2/15/07, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think this is what you want.
> <http://flood.firetree.net/?ll=43.3251,-101.6015&z=13&m=7>

Interesting.  A great application of the mapping software that would have
been completely unavailable a decade ago.

You have to zoom in quite a bit to see what would go under with a 7m rise in
sea level.

Where I live is fine (I think I'm at ~200 feet).  One does however lose some
interesting airports.  JFK and Regan (National) almost entirely and
significant amounts of Logan and Laguardia.  I suspect it would be major
ports (Seattle, Oakland, LA, Brooklyn) that would suffer the most as the
unloading docks aren't that much above sea level.

Oh, and you do lose most of Cape Canaveral and the JFK space center.

But if one is willing to compensate for the rise (sea walls, land fill,
etc.) most of the U.S. goes untouched (raising of course the problem of how
to motivate people to be concerned).  It does however look like some places,
e.g. the Bahamas, really get creamed.

Robert