[extropy-chat] Space elevator numbers III

Thomas Thomas at thomasoliver.net
Fri Feb 16 20:21:20 UTC 2007

BillK wrote:

>On 2/16/07, Jef Allbright wrote:
>

>>Keith Henson wrote:
>>

>>>Anybody who can launch a ton of ball bearings can
>>>launch a nuke which is much more likely to take it out.
>>>But *why?
>>>

>>Because such a structure represents a huge gradient of power, and nature
>>abhors a gradient.
>>

>[...] the point is not to defend the
>cable against ICBMs, but against the simple, basic methods of suicidal
>fanatics.
>
>BillK

Can Jef & Bill plan the erradication of suicidal fanaticism as cleverly
as Keith, Eugen & Giorgio plan our escape from the planet?  I don't fear
the kind of power that lifts us to the skies.  My nature abhors the kind
of power that calls for mandates backed by violence.  Isn't that the
"rationale" of suicidal fanatics?  As I see it, that which gives no
offense seldom needs a defense.  -- Thomas