[extropy-chat] Space elevator numbers III

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Fri Feb 16 20:37:17 UTC 2007

Thomas wrote:

BillK wrote:

On 2/16/07, Jef Allbright wrote:

Keith Henson wrote:

Anybody who can launch a ton of ball bearings can
launch a nuke which is much more likely to take it out.
But *why?

Because such a structure represents a huge gradient of power, and nature
abhors a gradient.

[...] the point is not to defend the
cable against ICBMs, but against the simple, basic methods of suicidal
fanatics.

BillK
Can Jef & Bill plan the erradication of suicidal fanaticism as cleverly as Keith, Eugen & Giorgio plan our escape from the planet?  I don't fear the kind of power that lifts us to the skies.  My nature abhors the kind of power that calls for mandates backed by violence.  Isn't that the "rationale" of suicidal fanatics?  As I see it, that which gives no offense seldom needs a defense.  -- Thomas

Yes, my plan involves increasing the awareness of intentional agents such that they realize the wisdom of identifying not only with what they value here and now, but with their expanded interests in the future.  Realizing this, one begins to focus not on ends that can be currently conceived, but on principles of effective interaction leading to ongoing growth of that which is valued over increasing scope.

Wanna help?  If so, you will need to learn that conflict at one level leads to cooperation and growth at a higher level of organization.  Avoiding conflict leads to stagnation and eventual non-existence of that which you value.

I understand that you abhor coercion and conflict in all its forms.  It's all a matter of context.

- Jef