[extropy-chat] Monkey business

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Mon Feb 26 22:20:34 UTC 2007

At 05:28 PM 2/26/2007 +0100, Eugen wrote:

>On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 11:07:34AM -0500, Keith Henson wrote:
> > This morning I got a message from the mailing list software that I had
> sent
> > a request to get off the list.
> >
> > I didn't do that, so it's malicious.
>
>It is almost certainly a dumb zombie sending out mail
>as you to sundry addresses, including the email interface
>to MailMan. Do you get any other blowback (check the spam
>folder)?

No.  This address is public so I get a lot of spam but this is the first
time for this.  It takes a special keyword "un  subcribe" in the subject
line.  It's not an accident.

> > If the list administrators could send me a copy of that message, it would
> > be *most* interesting to see where it originated.
>
>Maybe Mailman has a log somewhere (I doubt that, though, it only
>keeps track of joins/leaves), but if it gives you an IP in Korea
>you're none the wiser.

That's true, but it's worth trying.  The cult often does stupid things
where they leave their fingerprints all over the place.

Keith Henson