[extropy-chat] The reverse Turing Test

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 19:08:22 UTC 2007

On 2/27/07, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

I'll skip quoting the story since it had me ROTFL.  Having been in a Home
Depot recently and having it activate my "kid in a candy store" tendencies
(ok, they have "this" and "this" and "this" but why don't they have "that"
(where "that" may be something my mind makes up on the fly but nobody other
than myself would seriously want) which brings to mind wanting to walk down
the aisles of the Sigma warehouse or the Dell warehouse or the Amazon
warehouses (ok, I have to stop drooling now)...

At any rate Damien, you made the mistake of not citing Charles Lutwidge
Dodgson (AiW).

When I say "turbine vent" I *mean* "turbine vent".  And if you can't find
that in your catalog, then the problem is in your catalog and not with my
non-US-accent!

Though, seriously, Google is much better than your local Home Depot rep...

"turbine vent home depot"

returns as the second item...

Turbine Vent - Home Improvement - Compare Prices....
http://www.nextag.com/turbine-vent/search-html

Of course the first item *is* "www.homedeopt.com" citing "External Braced
Galvanized Wind Turbine"....

The problem isn't that your Home Depot rep is a 1965 computer.  The problem
is that your Home Depot rep isn't using Google...

The story I really want to hear is when you call up Home Depot and tell them
you are staring at their "wind turbine"s on your screen and they are
claiming that they have no such product...
:-)

R.