[extropy-chat] The reverse Turing Test

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Feb 27 20:05:22 UTC 2007

At 02:08 PM 2/27/2007 -0500, Robert wrote:

>Though, seriously, Google is much better than your local Home Depot rep...
>The story I really want to hear is when you call up Home Depot and
>tell them you are staring at their "wind turbine"s on your screen
>and they are claiming that they have no such product...

I know I should have done that, but of course I had already googled
on the gadget, looked at Amazon, all that, and knew the range of
prices. What I mostly wanted was a price on installation, which their
web site promised to quote if you rang the number which was, of
course, the one I rang ("called," for Americans). It was my bad luck
to get a reverse Turing machine.

But then stupidity seems to be spreading. My publisher recently sent
me a 1099 tax document made out, absurdly, in my wife's name but with
my Social Security number. It took three emails and a phone call from
New York for the human responsible to grasp the idea that just
because I'd asked for correspondence to be sent to me c/o The Law
Office of Barbara Lamar it *didn't* mean that she was the author of my book...

Damien Broderick