[extropy-chat] The reverse Turing Test

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Feb 27 20:27:29 UTC 2007

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 02:08:22PM -0500, Robert Bradbury wrote:

>    When I say "turbine vent" I *mean* "turbine vent".  And if you can't
>    find that in your catalog, then the problem is in your catalog and not
>    with my non-US-accent!

A scaled up version of that, with a rare-earth motor dynamo could become
a reasonable source of electrical energy, especially in some locations.
Since: 1) it's mass produced 2) silent 3) vertically mounted. I was just fantacizing
the other day welding myself a little microhydro turbine, or laminating a wind rotor,
as well as building an alternator from scratch (rare earth magnets are cheap!
so is glass fiber/epoxy). When living way out in the sticks, north-south
house aligment, a creek and/or wind (coast!) are good items on the check list.

>    The problem isn't that your Home Depot rep is a 1965 computer.  The
>    problem is that your Home Depot rep isn't using Google...

I very much doubt they're allowed a full internet access on the desk.
And they probably haven't got a Google appliance indexing their site either,
but rely on some braindead fugly internal legacy thing. Blech.

As to reverse Turing tests (I'm calling them exactly that), they're
acronymed (acronamed?) CAPTCHA ("Completely Automated Public Turing
test to tell Computers and Humans Apart"):

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha