[extropy-chat] Sasha is alive!

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Jan 1 09:09:22 UTC 2007

On Dec 27, 2006, at 9:37 PM, Robert Bradbury wrote:

> So for those of you focused on computations as to whether or not
> cold fusion may or may not be feasible, I would offer an alternate
> problem, "When will we reincarnate Sasha?".  Note the the question
> is not conditional.  We will have the ability to do this.  We could
> get into discussions as to whether or not the entity is a "greater"
> or "lesser" Sasha.  I would argue that the wold is a lesser place
> with Sasha in absence, and thus we should seek to fill that void.

You can't, regardless of computational capacity.  The vast majority of
the information is gone.  It would require time-travel to regain it.
Anything less is a simulacrum acting sort of like some people remember
Sasha acting some of the time.  I would argue that the world will be a
better place when we focus on what is actually doable even in theory
and let go of what we can do nothing about.  We might want to start
with what is most critical to do something about now or real soon now.

- samantha