[extropy-chat] Signing up for cryonics, was chat Digest, Vol 40, Issue 4

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Fri Jan 5 20:06:31 UTC 2007

At 09:11 AM 1/5/2007 -0600, "Chris Petersen" wrote:
>A recent comment by Eli on Overcoming Bias prompted me to give a serious
>look at cryonics, which, for whatever reasons, I'd dismissed before.

I dismissed it for about 20 years.  Reading Eric Drexler's take on
nanotechnology in draft convinced me it could work.  I signed up 22 years ago.

>I agree with the rationale and am nearly ready to sign.  I've done a good
>bit of research, but there's at least one thing I'm unclear
>regarding.  For those here who're signed, what factors contributed to
>choosing one or the other of the main
>providers?  Proximity?  Price?  Perceived professionalism? Popularity? (I
>didn't start out intending an alliteration. :) )

All of these are influential.  Age is another factor.  Alcor is clearly
more professional than CI, but that comes at a price.  Since most people
use life insurance to pay for it, age and current health are big factors.

Proximity is less of a factor if you live in a place with a local support
team.  Still, for the best quality suspension, I would make plans (in the
event of a terminal illness) to move near your provider.

>Thanks in advance.
>
>Also, I think this is my first post to the list, so hello. :)

Hi back.

Can you tell us a bit about your background?

Keith Henson