[extropy-chat] what is probability?

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 8 19:46:21 UTC 2007

I agree with Ben and Jef on this question of what are these so-called
"laws" of science. But somehow I think John does not really disagree. I
think he knows full well that physical laws are provisional only.

A better way to ask this question, I think, would be something like, "Is
it or is it not the goal of science to discover the ultimate and true laws
of the universe, which really do exist?"

Those who answer yes would be, I think, objectivists and subscribers to
the correspondence theory of truth. Those who answer no would be
subjectivists and subscribers to the coherence theory of truth.

As for me, I confess a modest bias in the direction of objectivism and the
correspondence theory.

-gts