[extropy-chat] what is probability?

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 00:50:35 UTC 2007

On 1/8/07, gts <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Those who answer yes would be, I think, objectivists and subscribers to
> the correspondence theory of truth. Those who answer no would be
> subjectivists and subscribers to the coherence theory of truth.
>
> As for me, I confess a modest bias in the direction of objectivism and the
> correspondence theory.

### Me too, kind of. Correspondence, not coherence, is what makes
physical truth true, even if it's derivation is dependent on practice,
which makes me a bit of a pragmatist. But then coherence is the meat
of mathematics and logic, so mathematical truth has a different flavor
to it. Perhaps the term "goulash theory of truth" might be applicable.

I hope we can agree that the one theory of truth that we all honest
folks here hate heartily is the social constructivist theory. Down
with Marx, Vico and pomos!

Rafal