[extropy-chat] blatant self aggrandizement

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 20:55:07 UTC 2007

On 1/28/07, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> This has me wanting to write up my own (lengthy) list of goofs.  I love
> this
> type of humor.  {8-]  spike

Would spending $700M on a probe [1] to take a few pictures of a hunk of ice
without figuring out how to put the camera and antenna into orbit  *around*
said hunk of ice (so one would have long term observation capabilities)
qualify?  [Oh, yea, we can launch it, and we are going to ignore the fact
that its a stupid mission because you are writing the checks...  And when
you figure out how to build a satellite that can put itself into orbit we
will be happy to receive a check for another $400M to launch that...]

There almost seems to be an unspokein anti-nanotech trend in industry (and
perhaps even in research circles) because if nanotech were to be developed
quickly it would upset oh-so-many applecarts.

The programming error that may have doomed the MGS [2] may top the cake on
my list.

You really probably don't want to get me started...
R.

1. http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/01/19/pluto.mission/index.html
2.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20070111/sc_space/faultysoftwaremayhavedoomedmarsorbiter