[extropy-chat] an(other) Aussie visits Texas

Thomas Thomas at thomasoliver.net
Tue Jan 30 03:09:45 UTC 2007

J. Andrew Rogers wrote:

>On Jan 29, 2007, at 6:57 AM, Ben Goertzel wrote:
>

>>Please note that Star Wars was also, in the 1980's, the popular name
>>for a proposed US missile defense system proposed by President
>>Reagan, Edward Teller, and others.
>>[...]
>>

>It was a lot more than lasers, [...]
>
>Cheers,
>
>J. Andrew Rogers

Yes!  The Strategic Defense Initiative (Star Wars) disrupted the
Mutuallly Assured Destruction doctrine that created that standing wave
we called the Cold War.  As a shield, not a threat, it gave the U.S. the
moral high ground.  Reagan even offered the "technology" to Gorbachev!
 The "Evil empire" characterization capped the demoralization of the
Soviets.

SDI seemed more a geo-political game in which our leader maintained the
initiative with powerful words and principled strategy -- and ultimately
won -- perhaps prolonging the existence of the human race.   Was there
more to this game than just the opposition principle?  Why did it seem
so much more effective and expansive in scope than our present foreign
relations game?  -- Thomas