[ExI] Post-Mortal Syndrome

Chris Petersen moses2k at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 23:13:59 UTC 2007

On 7/15/07, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> I have been thinking about trying a combination of novel and adventure
> game,
> in which one guides the story line to some extent.  My yet-unpublished
> story
> has a lot of different characters, 8 main players, at least 20 other
> smaller
> parts and perhaps fifty bit players, most of them composites based on
> friends from college.  If written in traditional paperback, it would be a
> Michener-esque tome, which no one has the time or patience to read in
> these
> modern times.
>
> In any story, one has one's favorite personalities.  It be cool to be able
> to filter a story, to follow the adventures of one or two characters.  We
> could have the software keep track of what material one has already read,
> then keep offering more detail on one's chosen characters, or go on to
> others at will.  Then reading a novel becomes more like doing a modern
> google search, nibbling at one's areas of interest but not trying to
> actually absorb the entire contents of the internet.
>
> Such a format requires soft copy and specialized software.
>
> spike

If you're thinking interactive fiction, I can recommend the Inform 7 engine.
http://www.inform-fiction.org/I7/Inform%207.html

Do you imagine the software would need to be more specialized than this,
such as adding an IF program to a 3D engine, as a kind of graphic/text
adventure game creation hybrid?

-Chris