[ExI] "Up against the warming zealots"...hmmm

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 12:12:23 UTC 2007

I wouldn't be so quick to say this is unequivocably good, whether or
not it is correct to decrease carbon emissions. I think on balance it
probably is good. I'd really love to see alternative forms of energy
become prevalent, and I'd *love* to see energy production
decentralise.

However, there seems to be somewhat of a memeplex out there that
includes not only modern green-consciousness, but also anti
"progress", anti science and anti rational positions. Admitedly this
is just conjecture on my part, but I feel like there's an
anti-humanism that goes with the green movement, an assumption that
things we do to improve the lot of humans through scientific
investigation are immediately suspect, a kind of evil.

I'm absolutely not saying this is universal - a lot of people care
about the environment these days, too many to talk in simple
generalisations. But surely, others here have noticed the same thing?
Don't you notice that the kinds of people heavily concerned about
environmental issues are the same people that react particularly
negatively to transhumanist ideas?

Emlyn