[ExI] any exact copy of you is you + universe is infinite = youare guaranteed immortality

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun Jun 17 23:37:47 UTC 2007

Stathis writes

> In the first stage of an experiment a million copies of you are created. In
> the second stage, after being given an hour to contemplate their situation,
> one randomly chosen copy out of the million is copied a trillion times, and
> all of these trillion copies are tortured.  At the start of the experiment
> can you expect that in an hour and a bit you will almost certainly find
> yourself being tortured or that you will almost certainly find yourself not
> being tortured? Does it make any difference if instead of an hour the
> interval between the two stages is a nanosecond?

Thanks for a clarifying scenario.  I think that both the following are true:

1)  you will find yourself being tortured
2)  you will find yourself not being tortured

It's easy to see from the birds-eye perspective that these two
physical realizations will occur.  In other words, you will
experience what all of you will experience, (with variously
different memory retentions).

What I don't know is how "surprised" those of me who are
being tortured will be.

Lee