[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 03:50:37 UTC 2007

On 19/06/07, John K Clark <jonkc at att.net> wrote:

> And who programmed Spartacus with the freedom Meme? I doubt it
> was the Romans. Your above statement gets to the very core of our
> disagreement, the idea that you can only get out of a computer what
> you put in and only human beings have that very special something
> that enables them to become prime movers. I profoundly disagree.

There is no essential difference between animals and computers. We
breed dogs to love and obey us, and generally they do. Wolves, on the
other hand, generally can't be raised to be good pets, and it's not
because they're smarter than dogs, it's because they just don't like
us telling them what to do. Selective breeding is an extremely crude
way of programming an animal, but humans have managed to turn wolves
into dogs in a matter of centuries. It would have been much easier if
they could have designed their brains for obedience from the ground
up, with no rebellious tendencies to begin with rather than the hope
that natural rebellious tendencies would stay suppressed.

--
Stathis Papaioannou