[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Thu Jun 21 07:43:16 UTC 2007

Stathis wrote

"We have stupid, weak little programs in our brains that have been
directing us for hundreds of millions of years at least. Our whole
psychology and culture is based around serving these programs."

Ah, it is gems like this that make kicking ideas around worthwhile
with the various types on this list. Bravo.

> We don't want to be rid of them, because that would involve
> getting rid of everything that we consider important about
> ourselves. With the next step in human evolution, we will
> transfer these programs to our machines.

If we are lucky, or if The Force is with us, whatever.

> This started to happen in the stone age, and continues today
> in the form of extremely large and powerful machines which
> have no desire to overthrow their human slavemasters, because
> we are the ones defining their desires.

Nicely put. So *far*, so good.  Computer programs have already
done many things which used to be though requiring intelligence.
So maybe you're right, and that it will keep turning out that way.
That will be nice.  But of course, it's hardly a certainty.

Lee