[ExI] Next moment, everything around you will probably change

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 04:57:26 UTC 2007

> Besides, for *practical* decision making, what about the case I just
> offered Jef?  Namely, wouldn't you yourself use a "similarity criterion"
> in evalutating whether someone was still the same person that they
> were yesterday, or whether someone was suffering from MPS?

Sure, it works fine for those scenarios.

And if so, then also wouldn't the similarity criterion work for
> determining whether two duplicates were "really the same person"?

And for that one in many contexts.

The context I was addressing is where we're talking about things like the
trillion 10-second lottery winners etc, where the similarity = identity
criterion doesn't really help, and in those cases I think it's better to
shrug off the identity question and just look at the utility of the expected
end result. I think that's consistent with Jef's view if I understand it
correctly, and am open to correction if not.