[ExI] RIP Singularitarianism

Thomas thomas at thomasoliver.net
Wed Jun 20 19:37:36 UTC 2007

> Russell Wallace wrote:

> I was once a Singularitarian. [...]
>
> But [...] Fear and paranoia contaminate it
>
> [...] explicit Singularitarian work is already dead, cf: SIAI,
> Novamente. All I can do is get on with my own (non-Singularity) work.
>
> My point, though, is that there's a gap in meme space: anyone want
> to coin a philosophy that means making actual progress, _no_
> parasite memes admitted?
We err to take fear-speak too seriously.  Fear merchants have
abounded by virtue of the hypnotic effect of their scary headlines.
They sucked space, but if you could tolerate them, and not succumb to
suggestibility, you could avoid getting sucked down.  Trying to
suppress negative memes seemed to strengthen them.  There remains
plenty of hard evidence that love resolves fear.  That corny old
philosophy has never failed.  If you can't do that then love yourself
for not tolerating singularitarianism.  By the way, what work do you
do?  -- Thomas

Thomas at ThomasOliver.net