[ExI] Favorite ~H+ Movies.

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun Jun 24 18:22:45 UTC 2007

Olga writes

> John K Clark wrote
>
>> The only transhuman movie that I think of that was dead accurate in every
>> respect was made nearly 40 years ago, it was called "The Forbin Project"
>> ... To top it off the AI now forces Forbin to help it design a successor
>> machine even more powerful than it is.

Hmm. Is it just coincidence that John is much more skeptical that an
AI could remain under human control, given how much this movie
affected him?

> Ah, yes ... I remember that well!  The tagline for "The Forbin Project"
> could have been the same one they used for "Seconds" (a movie I saw as a
> teenager in 1966, which gave a slight boost to my perspective forevermore,
> as well as a new word to my vocabulary, i.e., "reborns"):

I've noticed too how "my perspective forevermore" has probably
been deeply affected by movies and books seen in my impressionable
youth.  Perhaps the horrifying themes of identity, torture, and belief
that lie in Orwell's 1984 (which I read two or three times between
age 12 and age 20) account for some of my fascination with who
we are and in what ways that changes under torture.

> "What Are Seconds?... The Answer May Be Too Terrifying For Words!"  (Olga's
> note:  Oh, yeah?  Well, those people obviously never heard of "Second
> Life.")
>
> more: "What if someone offered you the chance to begin again, with a new
> life that was organized to be exactly what you wanted it to be?

For one thing, we'd probably change less than we do given that so much
of what we experience and what happens to us is out of our control.

Lee