[extropy-chat] Drexler laying down a hand...

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 21:59:22 UTC 2007

On 3/3/07, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> The real issue with this kind of mission is that we want to do it faster,
> better, cheaper.  To land on Pluto you only get to pick one of those
> three.

Spike, I think you hit two out of three.  Faster and cheaper being the
problematic criteria.  Did we have to go to Pluto "now"?  And if so why?
And was there a cost analysis done looking at the cost of sending a probe to
Pluto now, vs. in say 5, 10, 15, or even 50 years when we might have
technologies such as space elevators, real nanotech, etc.  I doubt it.
Because you folks are in the business of building real things that work
today -- not in the business of asking "is this really the best use of your
resources?".

For the sake of "faster" and "cheaper" I would offer the opinion that you
had to sacrifice "better".

Robert