[extropy-chat] Question: Buying OTC supplements in Australia

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Mar 4 23:55:44 UTC 2007

>I'm a little bit concerned about the apparent trend toward
>over-regulating dietary supplements within Australia.

I'm not there right now, but yes, Big Nanny is alive and well and
high in the saddle. (Although all manner of nonsense "homeopathic
health supplements" *can* be purchased--but then "remedies" with
nonactive non-ingredients might not be that dangerous, unless people
ignore more effective treatments.) A couple of years ago, though,
melatonin, e.g., was not available, as I recall, so the jetlagged
just had to suffer. On the other hand, asthma puffers were (are?)
available OTC, whereas I'm now obliged repeatedly to pay a US quack
good money for a pointless prescription.

Damien Broderick