[extropy-chat] Question: Buying OTC supplements in Australia

A B austriaaugust at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 4 22:50:32 UTC 2007

I'm considering traveling to Australia for the purpose of starting a computer science degree (three-year degrees instead of four, and it seems like a neat place). But, I'm a little bit concerned about the apparent trend toward over-regulating dietary supplements within Australia. I've found it shockingly difficult to find highly credible information about the *current* regulations over the Internet. But what I have found, doesn't sound too good. In particular relevance to me, I've found that the amino-acid derivative S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine is especially helpful for mood. I can buy this OTC very easily in the United States, but I'm concerned that it may not be available in Australia. I'm also considering experimenting with the "smart nutrients" Ginkgo Biloba and Phosphatidylserine, incidentally.

  Anyway, I was hoping to hear a reply from a genuine Australian, about whether or not these types of supplements can easily be purchased over-the-counter in Australia, or not. If not, by what legal means can they be obtained? And, does Australia sell brand-name supplements at retail?

  Best Wishes,

  Jeffrey Herrlich